Header Ads

"**K-pop Star to Testify on Bullying in the Music Industry**"

 


K-pop Star Hanni to Testify on Bullying in the Music Industry


South Korean pop star Hanni, a member of the girl group NewJeans, has made a surprise announcement that she will testify before the National Assembly in a hearing on bullying within the music industry.


In a message to fans on social media, Hanni revealed that she made the decision without informing her managers or record label, Ador. "I believe moving forward is the right thing to do, no matter how much I think about it," she wrote.

More..

This announcement follows concerns raised by Hanni and her fellow NewJeans members during an impromptu YouTube livestream on September 11, where they spoke about their treatment by Ador.


NewJeans, the eighth biggest-selling act worldwide last year with hits like "SuperShy" and "OMG," faced internal turmoil when their mentor and Ador's CEO, Min Hee-Jin, was removed earlier this year amid allegations of a hostile takeover plan to make NewJeans and Ador independent of Hybe, their parent label. Min denied the accusations.

More..

During the deleted livestream, the group demanded Min’s reinstatement and made claims of workplace harassment. Hanni recounted an incident where she greeted members of another band at their label’s offices but was instructed by their manager to be ignored. Hanni raised the issue with Ador’s new CEO, Kim Joo-Young, but was told it was too late and that she had no evidence. "Seeing her ignore the issue made me feel like there was no one to protect us," Hanni said.


The accusation fueled a conflict between NewJeans' fans and supporters of another girl group, Illit, rumored to be involved in the incident. Illit’s agency, Belift Lab, denied the claims, stating that their members had always greeted NewJeans and that there was video evidence to support this.

More..

The controversy gained the attention of South Korea's Environment and Labour Committee, who summoned both Hanni and Kim Joo-Young to testify in an upcoming audit on workplace harassment.


In her statement to fans, Hanni confirmed her decision to testify: "I’ve made my decision. I'm going to the National Assembly. A parliamentary inspection! I'm going alone. They still don’t know... neither my managers nor the company." She thanked fans for their support, assuring them not to worry, and added, "I'm doing this for myself, for the members [of NewJeans], and also for the Bunnies [fans]."


"No, it’s not difficult. I want to do this," she concluded.

No comments

Powered by Blogger.